Classroom Survey of Student Engagement (CLASSE)
What is CLASSE?
CLASSE is a classroom-level adaptation of NSSE developed by Bob Smallwood of the University of Alabama and Judy Ouimet of Indiana University Bloomington. NSSE has authorized this approach to examining student engagement at the classroom level. Institutions using CLASSE enter a no-cost licensing agreement to administer CLASSE surveys on their own campuses.
CLASSE is composed of two instruments: CLASSEStudent asks students how frequently they engage in various educational practices within a specific course; CLASSEFaculty asks the instructor of that course how important the various educational practices are in facilitating student success. Student and faculty outcomes are then contrasted to identify important and valued educational practices that are occurring less frequently than desired or expected.
Classroom-level insights about the quality of student engagement can aid institutional efforts to enhance the adoption of engaging educational practices. CLASSE results can help pinpoint engaging pedagogical practices, shape teaching and learning experiences, and inform faculty development activities. CLASSE is a useful complement to institution-wide student engagement results provided by NSSE and faculty results from the Faculty Survey of Student Engagement (FSSE). Combined, these instruments help focus campus efforts to improve student engagement.
How is CLASSE administered?
It is the end-user’s responsibility to (a) adapt the CLASSEStudent and CLASSEFaculty instruments (paper and/or electronic format), (b) secure permission from NSSE to administer CLASSE, (c) obtain local IRB approval, (d) administer the surveys, and (e) summarize, analyze and report CLASSE results to participating faculty.
To avoid overlapping survey recruitment, CLASSE should not be used in first-year and senior level classes during the spring semester if an institution is participating in a standard NSSE administration.
How does one participate in CLASSE?
To participate in CLASSE, follow these five simple steps:
- Determine your institution’s CLASSE eligibility by confirming your institution has participated in NSSE at least once in the last three years.
- Download and review the CLASSE Item Usage Proposal Form
- Makes decisions about your CLASSE administration, including:
- Course selection
- Optional course-specific survey items
- Prepare drafts of your CLASSEStudent and CLASSEFaculty instruments.
- Seek authorization to implement CLASSE by submitting the completed CLASSE Item Usage Proposal and copies of the draft CLASSEStudent and CLASSEFaculty surveys for each of the classes included in your study to email@example.com.