Experienced NSSE users from several institutions (Xavier University, Florida International University, Tulane University, Prairie View A & M University, and Southern Vermont College) shared effective examples of incorporating NSSE results into accreditation, discussed initiatives that were informed by data, including using BCSSE results to convey curricular needs and to design an intervention, and showcased particular examples of data use and campus action.
- Kenyatta Phelps, Prairie View A&M University, shared how NSSE results were incorporated into Prairie View’s reports for reaffirmation of accreditation by the Commission on Colleges-Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). View the PVAMU Web site and the “Compliance Report” to see excellent examples of narrative using multiple measures to respond to SACs standards such as, 2.10 Student Support Services, 2.5 Institutional Effectiveness, and, 220.127.116.11 Community/Public Service. Review their QEP, "iREAD: Increasing Reading and Engagement for Academic Development", to see how NSSE results informed their topic selection and provided base-line results. http://sacs.pantherconnect.com
- Katie Busby, Tulane University, described how NSSE results were used to support the selection of the Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) topic for Tulane’s upcoming reaffirmation of accreditation by the Commission on Colleges-Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). With a successful public service requirement already in place, Tulane will be providing additional engaged learning opportunities through the Center for Engaged Learning and Teaching (CELT) so that students are active participants in the learning process. View a PDF of the presentation, "NSSE Data - in Action ." http://tulane.edu
- Sylvia Jimison, Southern Vermont College, described how she used BCSSE data to learn that the students were not well prepared for college level work. BCSSE results helped to gain approval from the SVC curriculum committee to pilot an Academic Foundations course and provided the institution an opportunity to match curriculum and academic services to the needs of the first-year students. http://www.svc.edu
- Alan Gale, Xavier University of Louisiana, indicated that NSSE results were used in Xavier’s QEP for SACS and showed NSSE reports displayed on Xavier’s Web site, http://www.xula.edu/planningir/researchreports.php.
- Yasmin Larocca, Florida International University, shared how NSSE results were used to make a case for creating the Virtual Student Center (link) to provide an enhanced support structure for their primarily commuter student population. Although NSSE results following the implementation of the VSC did not improve as FIU had hoped, they remain focused on improving this resource for students. http://www.fiu.edu.