The Association for Institutional Research (AIR) recently hosted its annual Forum in Orlando, FL, where the Center for Postsecondary Research (CPR) and its associated projects were represented. Attendees were able to go to sessions and inquire about NSSE, FSSE, and BCSSE at the exhibit hall. Featured in this blog post are questions and comments that arose from our conversations.
National Survey of Student Engagement
- We noticed FSSE has a Tableau dashboard, is this in the future for NSSE?
- NSSE is a more complicated survey and has more participating institutions, which makes it difficult to render Tableau dashboards. However, this is something we are actively working on! We recognize the importance of data visualizations for administrators' use in decision making and for sharing data with various constituents. Plans to pilot a NSSE Tableau is under works, and we will release information in the future. In the meantime, we hope you enjoy FSSE's.
Faculty Survey of Student Engagement
- Can you link FSSE and NSSE data?
- Absolutely! Many of the questions in FSSE and NSSE mirror one another allowing institutions to study both faculty and student engagement. In this webinar, we give tips for using FSSE to add context to an institution's NSSE findings. Our research has found many connections as well. FSSE has examined patterns of faculty and students' use of technology in academic settings and studied deep learning approaches of faculty in STEM and seniors' reported classroom experience. Most recently, FSSE followed up on a past study to show that students at institutions with more engaging faculty are more engaged in important educational practices.
Beginning College Survey of Student Engagement
- Is BCSSE data available for administrators to use immediately?
- For those administrators who chose web administration, student-level raw data and advising reports are available within hours of submission. The rapid access allows the data to be shared with academic advisors to better assist students with academic planning. For those who choose paper administration, student data and reports are typically available within 4 weeks after we receive the surveys for processing.
If you have any questions feel free to reach out to us directly and be sure to follow our Facebook/Twitter @NSSEsurvey for the latest information. All of our publications, archived webinars, and resources can be found here.