More than 14,000 students from 31 institutions answered additional questions about issues surrounding sexual orientation. Engagement Insights: Survey Findings on the Quality of Undergraduate Engagement, NSSE's publication of annual results included a very brief story about the findings from the sexual orientation item set focusing on LGBQ+ acquaintances with LGBQ+ others. See what made it to print on this story and more findings from the 2017 administration of NSSE here.
Annual Results--Director's Cut!
Not everything can be included in a publication as brief as the NSSE Annual Results.. Here are some findings that didn't make the final cut.
- 34% of first-years and 41% of seniors never discussed LGBQ+ issues in their courses
- Only 24% of first-years and 31% of seniors felt their experience at their institution had contributed substantiallya to their understanding of LGBQ+ issues
- 40% of first-years and 43% of seniors frequentlyb had discussions with LGBQ+ people outside of class
- LGBQ+ students had more discussions about LGBQ+ issues with people outside of class than their straight peers (Figure LGBQ1)
- 75% of LGBQ+ first-years and 73% of LGBQ+ seniors had at least one close friend at their institution who also identifies as LGBQ+
- 80% of LGBQ+ first-years and seniors were comfortable with people at their institution knowing their sexual orientation