Mental Health and Well-Being Topical Module (2024)
Copyright © 2024 Trustees of Indiana University
The Mental Health and Well-Being Topical Module provides colleges and universities an opportunity to understand and address current concerns about students’ emotional, psychological, and social wellness. Results will help institutions promote well-being by purposefully creating supportive environments and providing necessary resources for students to thrive. This module assesses students’ experiences related to a range of dimensions for mental health and well-being. It also examines sources of support and explores students’ perceptions about campus resources. Some components for this set were influenced by the Butler University Student Well-being Institutional Support Survey (SWISS).
- 1. During the current school year, how difficult have the following been for you?
Response options: Not at all difficult (1) to Very difficult (6), Not applicable
- Family relationships
- Romantic relationships
- Relationships with peers
- Mental health
- Mental or emotional exhaustion
- Sleeping well
- Physical health
- Discrimination or harassment
- 2. To what extent have the following supported your mental health and well-being?
Response options: Very much, Quite a bit, Some, Very little, Not at all, Not applicable
- Your friends
- Your family
- Significant others or romantic partners
- Other students (classmates, peer advisors, student org. members, etc.)
- Your cultural community (identity-based, faith-based, hometown group, etc.)
- Your academic advisor
- Your instructors
- Counseling services
- Student services staff (student activities, housing, career services, etc.)
- 3. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statements?
Response options: Strongly agree, Agree, Slightly agree, Slightly disagree, Disagree, Strongly disagree
- I have access to affordable, healthy food.
- I am satisfied with the amount of exercise that I get.
- I am satisfied with the amount of time I spend on recreational and leisure activities.
- I get an adequate amount of support for my well-being from my institution.
- 4. If you were to experience the following problems, would you know how to get help at your institution?
Response options: Yes, No, Help for this is not available at my institution
- Depression or anxiety
- Discrimination or harassment
- Food insecurity (not having enough food)
- Housing insecurity (inconsistent access to stable housing)
- Emergency financial situation
- Lack of care for dependents
- Mental health crises
- Sexual assault or relationship violence
- Sleep difficulty
- Substance abuse
- 5. Thinking about resources on your campus, to what extent does your institution provide adequate resources in the following areas?
Response options: Very much, Quite a bit, Some, Very little, Not at all, I don’t know
- Dining options that meet your dietary needs (vegetarian, kosher, halal, gluten-free, etc.)
- Health services for physical health needs
- Counseling services for mental health needs
- Affordable housing for students
- Access to reliable internet
- 6. What is one way your institution has supported your mental health and well-being? Please describe. (5,000 character limit)