We are pleased to announce that the Faculty Survey of Student Engagement (FSSE) 2023 survey launches March 14. During this administration, 83 institutions will participate. Since 2003, more than 350,000 instructional staff from more than 900 institutions have responded to FSSE.
Notable for 2023:
- Updates to core survey and Topical Modules to align with recent edits to the NSSE survey and to create more inclusive questions
- FSSE will be administered using the Qualtrics platform, allowing an ability to use live, interactive dashboards and immediate data downloads.
- New data visualizations with an online, interactive reporting tool
- Updated evidence of validity in the FSSE Psychometric Portfolio
FSSE, a companion survey designed to complement the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE), measures the expectations of instructional staff (faculty, instructors, and graduate students who teach) on student engagement, such as:
- Instructional staff perceptions of how often students engage in different activities
- The importance instructional staff place on various areas of learning and development
- The nature and frequency of instructional staff-student interactions
- How instructional staff organize their time, both in and out of the classroom
Like NSSE, FSSE-participating institutions have the option to append up to two Topical Modules to the FSSE core survey. For example, during the 2022 administration, the most popular FSSE Topical Module deployed was the Inclusiveness and Engagement with cultural Diversity module, which was used by 40% of FSSE-participating institutions.
From FSSE 2022:
- 87.6% of staff believed encouraging contact among diverse students was "Important" or "Very Important."
- Health Professions staff spent an average of 8.2 hours per week on service activities in 2021-22.
- 29.2% of staff disagreed or strongly disagreed to feeling valued by their respective institutions.
Learn more about FSSE's 2022 survey administration and how to register and prepare for the 2024 administration by visiting FSSE's homepage on our website.